Monday, May 16, 2011

Country Music Half (aka Matt's beat down)

So this race taught me some very valuable lessons:
  1. Don't ever forget your electronic timing chip at your hotel room.
  2. If you violate 1, don't wait until you are a mile and a half from you hotel, 30 minutes before the race to realize it.
  3. Don't forget rule 1.
As you can tell this race started off with some unexpected stress when I realized I left my timing chip at the hotel.  I was able to get into my starting corral in time to hear them start the race, but I would not suggest the 3 mile warm-up run.  And this is my public acknowledgment that my father may have been right that this would be a hilly, difficult course...but of course that just meant I wanted to run it even more.  Let's just say it was an learning experience.


This race taught me a lot of things, but above all else it was a humbling experience.  I grew up watching UM Football and was always engrossed by the swagger of the Jimmy Johnson teams of the 80's.  There was something about it that always entertained and impressed me...they weren't just good, but they made sure you knew it.  I have been accused of having a "little bit" of the cockiness when I participate in sports and I always have believed that even if something was physically tough I could suck it up and power through; this race taught me that sometimes you reach a point where even being tough can't overcome your body's limitations.





The race started pretty well, which was good given my pre-race...warm-up.  Around the 3 mile mark the race turns uphill and I realized that the race was going to be tough - no pr for me - but I thought I would be able to push through.  I was cruising at an even pace and then at mile 10 my body decided that it had run a half marathon already; it was not pleased when I had to inform it we had a 5k left.  The amount of fans throughout the race were great, however it made having to walk tough because any time I had to walk I would think "don't look like such a wimp in front of all these people" and would start running again.  Some of the signs were also very creative and funny, which helped keep me going; the best of any race so far was one with a 6 foot cut-out of Prof. Dumbledore with the sign saying "Run like you know who is chasing you!" (Harry Potter reference for those of you not in "the know").


I had to stop 3-4 different times, the last being with about a mile left in the race.  That was the worst of the stops because it was so close to the end, but with my hands shaking and my bloodsugar bottoming out, sometimes you do what you have to do.    After a minute walk, I ran the rest of the way in and finished the race.  Following 2 gatorades, 3 waters and every post-race snack available, I started to feel better.  I took so much food after the race it looked like I had robbed a grocery store.


After the race I got to spend some time recovering with Kathy and her dad, I must say that the foot ice baths were a life saver when my calves started cramping.  It was great to see Kathy and her dad, especially since she created the Challenge for her mom.  I also caught up with my old teammate Luke after the race (Luke, by the way, now weighs 235 which is down from his 300lb playing weight and ran a personal best of 1:38! Incredible).  



















A big selling point of the Rock n' Roll series is the post-race concert at night, which featured Montgomery Gentry - a personal favorite of mine.  Rocking the cowboy boots and belt buckle, hanging out with some good friends and listening to some great country music made this race all worth it.  


Luke sporting the Medal all night


"Back when I knew it all"


Want to give a special shoutout to Ryan and Stacy and their two beautiful daughters who I got to see in Nashville too - I even got a souvenir drawing from Macy.




This was my first of the Rock n Roll series and I can absolutely say I am looking forward to running more.  The fan support was incredible and all the people out cheering on all the runners was what helped me push through and keep running.  The bands and the music are fantastic.  


Sometimes the challenge isn't the running, but learning about yourself while you run.  Nashville I will see you next year, and I will be ready.







No comments:

Post a Comment